memorial pool dedicated to UC Berkeley students, faculty, and staff that lost their lives in World War 2

The Cal Veteran Services Center ensures that admitted UC Berkeley students understand how to successfully manage the transition, navigate the research university, and fully engage in the university experience. We are pleased to welcome and serve this growing and thriving community at Cal.


The minimum graduate admission requirements are: 

  1. a bachelor's degree or the recognized equivalent from an accredited institution;
  2. a satisfactory scholastic average, usually a minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.0 (B) on a 4.0 scale; and 
  3. enough undergraduate training to do graduate work in your chosen field. 

Satisfying minimal standards, however, does not guarantee your admission, since the number of qualified applicants far exceeds the number of places available. As a result, many well-qualified applicants cannot be accommodated.

Many departments and groups have additional requirements, including the GRE, TOEFL score minimums, and GPA minimums. Please check the information provided by the department for additional requirements.

Sather gate star

UC Berkeley library

We encourage Veterans to file for financial aid if you will need additional aid during the academic year or while you are waiting for your VA educational benefits to arrive. 

Financial Aid and Scholarships 

The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office works closely with students to make a UC Berkeley education an affordable reality. At Berkeley, we are proud to say that nearly everyone is eligible for financial aid.

The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office works closely with students to make an invaluable UC Berkeley education an affordable reality. At UC Berkeley, the majority of students receive some form of financial aid. Nearly two-thirds of undergraduate students qualify for financial aid. 

Quick Links

VA Education Benefits

UC Berkeley Veteran Services offers information related to the types of benefits, certification of benefits, contact information for dedicated support, and campus resources for students who have served in the military.

Eligibility for veteran’s educational benefits is determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), not by UC Berkeley.  For more information on eligibility and to apply visit

After you apply for benefits through the VA, please provide the following documentation to the Veterans Benefits Office at the Office of the Registrar.

  1. This form must be approved by your advisor and submitted to Veteran Services before your enrollment can be certified to the VA for the second term. 
  2. For undergraduates, the Academic Progress Report, available on Cal Central under the Academic Records tab, serves as the education plan. 
  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE) – Chapters 30, 33 and 1607
  • Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) – Chapter 1606
  • Chapter 31 Authorization – Have your case manager send VA Form 22-1905 directly to our office at the address above.
  • Change of Place of Training Form – Students who received benefits previously at another institution. VA Form 22-5495 for Chapter 35; or VA Form 22-1995 for all other Chapters.


  • Apply for VA benefits through VONAPP
  • Complete the process outlined above under Initiating Federal Veterans Benefits at UC Berkeley
  • Enroll in courses
  • Have UC Berkeley Veteran Services certify your enrollment and fees (if applicable) to the VA
  • Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 students must verify their attendance every month either online via WAVE or by Interactive Voice Response at 877-823-2378.


UC Berkeley seal

"As a former veteran, I understand the needs of veterans, and have been clear - we will work together, stand together with the Administration, but we will also question their policies when they shortchange veterans and military retirees."
- Solomon Ortiz